Saturday, February 9, 2008

Bad Spaces -> Almost Good Spaces

So, I venture to say that nothing really sucks more than having a work space that doesn't work at all. My computer has been the center piece of my little studio-corner for almost a year now, but I'm finding that that space is becoming further and further impeded by cutting boards, many different adhesives, tapes, knives, rulers, books, papers...et al.

Needless to say, my space wasn't working for me in the way that it used to...since my creative focus has changed. I was dedicated to creating on the computer, now - it's becoming a secondary tool, more for compositing and typesetting (not that typesetting is secondary...but well, anyway).

So, this was my little non-functioning studio space earlier tonight:


And now this is what it came out to be:

I clearly still need more surfaces - and I'm definitely not satisfied with where my printer is (not enough tables in my workspace) but this is definitely a step up from where I was. I now have an (almost) dedicated space to work at and I don't have to be distressed that I am required to reach a foot and a half over my desk to type on my keyboard.

Almost there...I just need to move this printer out of the way now!

Does anyone have suggestions for how they like to keep their spaces? I'm really always looking for new ideas to make things flow/feel better.

2 comments:

Nohj said...

I had a similar problem until I got a gigantic drafting table. I used to draw and cut on a little corner of my computer desk -- not cool. Now I have a great place for cutting, drawing, and spreading out books. I also find that I'm WAY more inclined to sketch if I have a prepared space. I like your workspace.

stan anderson said...

jared-your workspace inspires me.
every designer needs a good place to just draw, cut, glue and such...it's always hard to do that with a computer, printer and such sitting there. Looks like you could have a segment on HGTV about redesigning a work specific space. A good chair, good lighting and good music can make all the difference in creating the mood for making great design.